This may seem as a strange request, as all thinking happens in your head…
But, let me clarify what I mean...
If you are trying manage your priorities, solving problems, designing products, dreaming of a better future, and more, in your head, you are most likely going round in circles, as the brain tends to go into a loop and revisit the same thing over and over…
The easiest solution for many is to think using pen and paper…
But, this is what I would like you to try:
- Set a timer for 25 minutes (pomodoro technique).
- Put aside all distractions.
- Open your favourite Mind Mapping Software and start Mind Mapping.
- Don’t worry about structure, Mind Map Rules or what you capture.
- Simply dump everything that you would possibly like to do on the Mind Map.
- Don’t stop until the timer beeps.
Once the timer is up, save the Mind Map and take a break.
After doing this, you may feel a huge sense of relief...
Then revisit the Mind Map after a bit of a break and start organising it.
Put things into categories and hierarchies.
Edit long sentences and replace them with Key Words.
Number the branches in order of importance, not urgency.
Once you have the most important things marked you are now ready to put together an execution plan.
I use a Personal Kanban board to execute my work, but you can use whatever tools you prefer. Just don’t manage it in your head.
If you would like a more detailed, systemised, yet agile and flexible approach, then my Mind Map to Kanban System may be just what you need.